Broccoli Cheese Soup (recipe from PB Fingers)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 2 1/4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 2 cups frozen chopped broccoli florets, defrosted
- 2 1/2 tbsp grated parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1 1/2 cups reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Sauté until onion is translucent and slightly soft.
- Add whole wheat flour to vegetables and stir until vegetables are coated in flour.
- Add nutmeg, pepper, broth and milk. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce head and allow soup to simmer for about 5 minutes. Add broccoli and allow to simmer for an additional 5 minutes, or until broccoli is slightly soft.
- Stir in parmesan cheese. Stir in shredded cheese. Stir cheeses into soup until melted.
- Using an immersion blender (or a regular blender), blend the soup until vegetables are no longer chunky and soup is smooth…. Enjoy!