Butternut Squash Soufflé (adapted from here)
- 1/2 butternut squash (I used the pre-cut halves)
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Prepare squash by peeling, cutting in half vertically, and removing pulp (if you bought the whole squash, not the pre-cut). Dice squash into 1-inch chunks and boil in water for 30 minutes.
- Drain squash, pour into bowl or back into pan. Mash squash with a potato masher (I used a plastic one so as not to damage the non-stick pan surface) until smooth and creamy.
- Combine 2 cups cooked squash, milk, cheddar cheese, salt, egg, and egg white in a food processor; process until smooth. Pour into a soufflé dish coated with cooking spray. Place soufflé dish in a 9-inch square baking pan; add hot water to baking pan to a depth of 1 inch. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes, or until puffy and set.