Fresh Crab Risotto with Chives and Parmesan (adapted from Food Network’s Robert Irvine’s recipe)
- 1 oz butter
- 1 oz vegetable oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 lb Arborio rice
- 1 1/2 quarts vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 6 ounces jumbo lump crabmeat (Brent actually drove to the docks and bought live crab – eek!)
- 2 ounces chopped chives
- 4 ounces grated Parmesan
- Heat the butter and oil together in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until soft. Do not brown, they should be translucent.
- Add the rice and saute for a further 3 to 5 minutes making sure the rice is well coated, Using a ladle, add about 1/2 cup of stock to the rice and stir over a medium heat until the rice is almost dry and all the stock has been incorporated. Repeat this process until the rice is cooked but still has a slight bite. The rice should be creamy and moist, not runny, and the cooking time should be around 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, fold in the crabmeat, chopped chives, and Parmesan and let cook for 2 minutes.