Erika’s Mac ‘n’ Cheese
- 1 box (16 ounces) dried elbow macaroni
- 5 cups milk (I used 1%.)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour or cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 ounces yellow American cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- black pepper, to taste
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat and bring the milk, macaroni, and salt to a boil; boil for 8 minutes.*
- Once 8 minutes has passed, turn off the stove and mix together the flour/cornstarch and water in a small bowl to form a slurry. Add slurry to the cooked macaroni mixture and gradually add shredded cheeses, mix well.
- Turn heat back on and simmer macaroni and cheese for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in mustard and season to taste with black pepper before serving!
* Note: There will be some milk remaining once the 8 minutes is up. This is important – do not drain the macaroni!