Healthy Mac ‘n’ Cheese with Broccoli
- 1/2 box (about 7 oz.) whole wheat rotini
- 1/2 bag (about 1 1/2 cups) of frozen broccoli, prepared according to package directions
- 4 oz. sharp cheddar cheese (I like the lighter version, not the orange kind)
- 2 oz. Monterey Jack cheese
- 5 cups unsweetened almond milk (mine was vanilla, which sounds weird, but it didn’t seem to matter)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring pasta and milk to a boil (put them in together at the same time, don’t bring the milk to a boil first), and let cook at medium heat until the pasta reaches your desired doneness. (Make sure that the milk doesn’t over-boil, because it will be a bitch to clean up).
- Meanwhile, grate your cheeses and set aside.
- When the pasta is done, do not drain. Turn heat down to low, and stir in grated cheeses. Let the cheese melt into the pasta, stirring continuously. If you still have too much milk left over after a few minutes, you can form a thickener with 1 tbsp whole wheat flour and 1/4 cup of water. Stir into the pasta until the cheese sauce reaches a nice, creamy texture.
- Add the broccoli florets, salt, and pepper to the pasta, stirring to combine. Serve right away… Enjoy!