Italian Sausage Minestrone
(adapted from Taste Of Home Magazine October 2011)
- 1/2 lb Italian mild sausage
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1 celery rib, finely diced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (I love the Hunt’s brand!)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 box small pasta (I used elbows)
- In a large pot, cook sausage over medium-heat until no longer pink (about 8 minutes). Drain sausage in a colander and set aside.
- In the same pot, sauté onions, celery, carrot, and garlic in olive oil until tender (at least five minutes).
- Add sausage, broth, water, beans, and tomatoes and stir to combine. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta and drain. When soup is done, add pasta and simmer for 1 more minute… Enjoy!