Miranda’s Homemade Egg Salad (makes four servings)
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup lite mayonnaise (I bet it would taste good with fat-free yogurt as well, but I haven’t tried it)
- Salt and pepper to taste (be generous!)
- Carefully place eggs in a saucepan and cover with water (hot or cold). Make sure the water is at least 1 inch higher than the eggs.
- Cover the pot and let the water come to a boil. When the water is boiling strongly, turn off heat and keep covered (do not open!). Let the pot sit untouched for 12 minutes.
- When the 12 minutes are up, drain eggs and let them sit in a bowl of cold water with ice for a minimum of a few hours (I usually leave mine overnight).
- When the eggs are fully cooled, peel them (I usually strike the top against something sharp and go from there), and place them on a paper towel. When all the eggs are peeled, use the paper towel to thoroughly dry them, and place them in a bowl together (make sure there’s enough room for some vigorous stirring!).
- Chop the eggs up with a fork, and mash to form a smooth consistency. It should start to look like the first picture above. Use the mayonnaise to facilitate this process. Once fully combined and smooth (like the second picture above), add your salt and pepper… Enjoy!