Oatmeal Cookie Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
(adapted to a non-vegan diet from here)
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1 /2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- Frosting: 8 oz. fat-free cream cheese, 3 tbsp. butter (softened), 1/4 tsp. vanilla, 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350˚
- Pour boiling water over oats and let sit until fully absorbed.
- Meanwhile, combine vegetable oil, peanut butter, applesauce, sugar, and vanilla in a mixer until mixed well.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add oatmeal to the wet mixture and beat until combined. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet until batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into a greased muffin tin and bake for about 15 minutes, or until tops are slightly starting to brown. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, to make the frosting, combine all ingredients and beat well. Frost cupcakes using a baggie with a corner cut off or a frosting bag.