Shrimp and Orzo
- 1 cup uncooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup chopped Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) grated fresh pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- While pasta cooks, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper evenly over shrimp. Add shrimp to pan; cook 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from pan.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan. Add onion, garlic, and red pepper; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add tomatoes, and cook 3 minutes or until tomatoes begin to soften, stirring occasionally. Stir in pasta and shrimp; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat, and stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, cheese, and basil.