Turkey Meatballs with Barbecue Sauce
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup finely diced white or sweet onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat leaf (Italian) parsley
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (I used Kraft’s Honey Barbecue)
- Preheat oven to 350˚. Line 2 baking sheets with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except barbecue sauce and gently mix together until fully combined. Using a small cookie scoop or a tablespoon, portion out 1 1/2 inch size meatballs and gently roll them between your hands to round them out. Place on baking sheets about 1 inch apart. Bake for 8 minutes and turn meatballs using tongs. Return to the oven and cook for an additional 6 minutes. Remove sheets from oven and lightly brush each meat ball with 1/4 cup of the barbecue sauce. Return to oven and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Warm the remaining 3/4 cup of barbecue sauce in small saucepan or in a small bowl in the microwave. Serve immediately.